Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Monday Morning Run

I enjoy running as exercise. But my Fall 2009 term was so busy I stopped running.

(I last blogged about running in 2007!)

Not everyone enjoys running. This is fine. Running is only better than walking if you have a full schedule: while give very similar health benefits, running burns more calories per mile than walking but has a higher risk of injury.

I once read a striking statistic: every minute you run adds one minute to your life expectancy. If true, this only means running shifts to your final days your free time from youth and middle age; anyone who does not enjoy running is doing themselves a disservice by spending their running!

Anyway, I happen to live next to very nice running trails maintained with wood chips by local property tax dollars. The common route of my morning run is about 1.5 miles each way. I can also extend the loop by 0.8 miles each way, if I want to run nearly 5 miles instead of close to 3.

No comments: