Saturday, June 12, 2010

More Bluefish Color Customization

In April I was happy with slightly darkening my text editor's background.

Now I am trying the very black background shtick.  I have friends that swear by it, and it does seem easier on my eyes.

There are two parts to doing this with Bluefish for HTML documents.

First, the .gtkrc-2.0 file.
style "EditorStyle" {
base[NORMAL]="#000000"
text[NORMAL]="#EEEEEE"
GtkTextView::cursor-color = "yellow"
GtkEntry::cursor-color = "#yellow"
}
class "GtkTextView" style "EditorStyle"
Second, the Bluefish syntax highlighting preferences for HTML documents.
Tags: #ADADED
html tag: #888888
Headers: #CDE555 with background #7A7869
Paragraphs: #E88998
Attributes: #98AD74
Attribute contents: #CDE555
Comment: #A5B5D9
DocType: #BB8800
Entities: #638D94
Special Characters: #53A9D4
The Headers and Paragraphs classifications I defined myself.  Both are "only start pattern" with a parent of ^Tags$.  The patterns are simply {h[0-9]}|{/h[0-9]} and {p}|{/p} (with angle brackets instead of curly brackets since otherwise typing them confuses blogger) using the | symbol as a logical "or".  If I knew more about regular expressions I could make the whole header line stand out nicely.  But I don't, and having only the start and end tags distinct is sufficient.

I also used those text colors for CSS stylesheets.  I set Plaintext to white and reused the HTML colors for the CSS items in my files.
Tags became Selector
html tag became Identifiers and Attribute Identifiers Selector
Attributes became Pseudo-selectors and Property
Attribute contents became Azimuth, Color, Color Hex, Misc, Length, and Unit
Comment remained Comment
Entities became Attribute Identifiers and Symbols
I also switched my font to the Ubuntu font FreeSans which has unusually large line spacing.  This allows me to keep my eyes happy even if the font size one smaller than otherwise possible.

No comments: