Sunday, March 27, 2011

Magalene on a Walk with Ninjas

Time for another Magalene update.  Yesterday I wrote about how, in January, Magalene stories changed from their original purpose of providing reminders about the rules at different places into adventure stories.

In February, Smiley resumed wanting Magalene stories in which she misbehaved.  So in some of her stories she was "behaving today" and in others she was "misbehaving today".

In late February I realized that Smiley could get equal enjoyment to knowing the rules better than Magalene from sharing in Magalene's victories.  Fitting along with our discipline style of "If that toy is causing you to not listen it will have to go in time out," I added temptation to the Magalene stories.  With ninjas.

(Smiley had no prior exposure to ninjas.  They are simply bad, sneaky people from these stories.)

My favorite story about Magalene and ninjas is the one we tell when visiting the mall to ride on the escalators.  But that is simply because the phrase mall ninjas is inherently funny by association.

Here is the story with ninjas I told yesterday when Smiley and I were on a walk.
Magalene on a Walk with Ninjas

One day Magalene and her mommy were on a walk. They were walking on the sidewalk. Magalene was riding in the big stroller.

There were ninjas. The ninjas were mean. "We want to make trouble," said the ninjas. "If Magalene got in trouble and her mommy put the buckle on her that would be funny. Magalene does not like being buckled in the stroller. She would be sad and cry. Then we could laugh at her, 'Ha, ha, ha, ha!'"

One ninja snuck up to Magalene, all quiet and sneaky. "Magalene," he whispered. "You should run away from your mommy and say 'Ha, ha, you can't catch me!'"

Magalene turned around and said, "Who's there?" But she could not see anyone because the ninja was so good at hiding. Magalene thought to herself, "Someone whispered that I should run away. Is that right?" ["No, that's not right," says Smiley as he hears the story.] "My mommy would say I am not listening and put on the stroller buckle. I would be sad. I will be a good listening girl."

Another ninja snuck up to Magalene, all quiet and sneaky. "Magalene," he whispered. "You should hang on the side of the stroller. That is more fun than sitting nice."

Magalene turned around and said, "Who's there?" But she could not see anyone because the ninja was so good at hiding. Magalene thought to herself, "Someone whispered that I should hang funny on the stroller. Is that right?" ["No," says Smiley as he hears the story.] "My mommy would say, 'You are not listening, Magalene.' I will be a good listening girl."

Another ninja snuck up to Magalene, all quiet and sneaky. "Magalene," he whispered. "You should run into the street." ["But that's not right, Daddy," adds Smiley.]

Magalene turned around and said, "Who'se there?" But she could not see anyone because the ninja was so good at hiding. Magalene thought to herself, "Someone whispered that I should run into street. Is that right?" ["No, that's not right," says Smiley. "That would be dangerous."] "A car might bump me. I don't want to be hurt. I want to be a good listening girl."

Another ninja snuck up to Magalene, all quiet and sneaky. "Magalene," he whispered. "You should go out of the stroller and pet that big dog right away." ["But that's not right," interrupts Smiley.]

Magalene turned around and said, "Who's there?" But she could not see anyone because the ninja was so good at hiding. Magalene thought to herself, "Someone whispered that I pet a dog, right away. Is that right?" ["No, that's not right, Daddy" says Smiley as he hears the story. "You should ask first and then pet the dog."] "The dog might bite me," thought Magalene. "I should ask first, 'Is this dog good for petting?'"

The ninjas all watched Magalene and her mommy on their walk. "We cannot make Magalene misbehave," said the ninjas. "She is too much a good listening girl today. We will go home. Maybe tomorrow we can make Magalene get in trouble. Then we could laugh at her, "Ha, ha, ha, ha!" So the ninjas all went back home to their nefarious lair and took naps.
So now Smiley has three very different genres of Magalene story.  Currently he enjoys them all.

The oldest type, where he and Magalene both visit a store, park, library etc. and I contrast his behaving with her misbehaving, is his favorite at bedtimes.  The adventure type is usually his preference when in the car.  Stories with ninjas are his favorite when he is out of the house and wants to review the rules.

No comments: