Sunday, January 20, 2008

WoW Metal Prices

I'm sick with a cold. :-( I feel really wiped out. I think I caught it early last week when I was out in the rain.

This is one of those times when I am glad God postponed the full effects until a holiday weekend, so it didn't interfere with my past week's productivity, but given that small miracle why didn't God just cure the cold entirely?

I was hoping to catch up on e-mails today. There are some friends I really want to write too. But I'm too fuzzy-headed. I don't think they want to receive an email in which I only say "Urk, I'm congested and can't think straight."

I'll probably do some mining in the World of Warcraft game later today. The guild vault is low on metal bars at the moment, and mining is an easy and relaxing thing to do. It's better to help friends in a game than do something not even remotely productive, like watch a movie. I'll chat with my friends while my gnome rides around in the Badlands or the Searing Gorge looking for mithril ore.

The game world has many kinds of metal. Merely to keep my guild contributions planned well, here is a list of the ones that are easy for my gnome to gather, and how many gold a set of 20 metal bars is worth on the Auction House.
  • Copper (1), Tin (1.3) and Bronze (1.5)
  • Iron (4.5) and Steel (5)
  • Silver (11) and Gold (15)
  • Mithril (15) and Truesilver (20)
  • Thorium (30)
  • Dark Iron Ore (3 to 8)
  • Fel Iron (30 to 35)
  • Adamantite (50)
The prices above are a "fair" average sale price for the Auction House (on Feathermoon server). Much of the time metal bars are offered for sale with a minimum bid one-and-a-half times this, but then do not sell.

UPDATE: I tried mining for a few hours and discovered the above analysis is actually meaningless. It takes twice as much Adamantite as Thorium to make a metal bar but Adamantite bars are not twice expensive. But my character is in Nagrand and has a Mote Extractor. What potential income I lose mining Adamantite in that area is more than made up by the motes I gain from mining and from using the Mote Extractor. It's more efficient to mine in Nagrand and sell my motes for whatever lesser-valued metals the guild needs.

No comments: