Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Neti Pot

As part of trying to get rid of the three week cold, I started using a neti pot. The word "neti" is apparently a very ancient Sanskrit acronym for the English phrase "nasal excellence through irrigation".

I certainly have my doubts about the implications of the idea that if regularly washing the outside of our bodies is important we should also regularly wash the inside. But I must admit my sinuses like being rinsed.

Using this kind of neti pot is surprisingly quick and pleasant, and in many ways like brushing my teeth. I suppose some day I will forget to stir the 1/4 teaspoon of salt into the cup of warm water, and suffer having undissolved salt crystals in a sinus. But until that mistake it's a nice addition to my morning routine.

Now I just need to decide whether to get either of my siblings a neti pot for their birthdays, and if so, what humorous note to write in the card.

No comments: