Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gluten-Free Play Dough

Back when I taught preschool I would frequently make play dough. The home-made material is not only easy to make and less expensive, but much easier to clean up.

To make play dough you first mix the few ingredients in a saucepan until smooth. Then turn on the heat to medium-low and keep stirring until the liquid turns into a solid. Knead it, let it cool, and then put it into a plastic bag.

The recipe I fine-tuned back then was:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
Clearly this is not a gluten safe recipe!

Today I made more play dough for a congregational kids' activity. I tried several gluten-free variations.

The best one is:
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup salt
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp oil

So the lack of gluten wound up requiring twice the salt and one-third the oil. Intriguing!

No comments: