Friday, March 06, 2009

Sunflower Cookies

Earlier this week I baked power bars. Those are yummy.

Today I was in the mood for something different and cookie-ish. Since I'm low on sleep and tired I decided to do the easy recipe for peanut butter cookies.

The only problem is a lack of gluten-safe peanut butter. In this country roasted peanuts are almost always contaminated. My wife has not found an affordable gluten-safe peanut butter. We once tried making our own peanut butter but that was so not worth it.

So I used a jar of sunflower butter from Trader Joe's, which we had in the pantry for no particular reason. It worked quite well. The taste was changed, as you would expect, while the consistency remained the same.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hmm, we have a good food processor (a Bosch) and have no problem making our own peanut butter. I don't know about which are gluten free but I do know that almond butter and cashew butter are both excellent in cookies (I am allergic to peanuts unless I have taken enzymes so often just use almond butter instead. I am allergic to cashews --prob the mold, butmy kids adore cashew and macademia nut butter. Sunflower butter and tahini are also very good in cookies, each lending their own particular flavor. I have also used almond butter in place of dairy (to which we are all allergic) with great results--especially in a coffee drink--excellent.