Saturday, July 03, 2010

New Gluten-Free Loaf Bread Recipe

I like sandwiches.  Growing up, I almost always had cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch.

Now that the weather has finally warmed up, I get more sandwiches.  My wife will be baking dinners less often, to avoid warming up the house, so we'll have fewer leftovers.

So it's time to re-learn how to bake bread.

It took my wife a long time to perfect her gluten-free loaf bread.  She began with a family recipe* that used rice, tapioca, and potato flours.  This now-obsolete recipe compensated for using flours with so little protein by including dried milk and extra eggs.

My wife discovered before her parents did an affordable source of quinoa, millet, and amaranth to grind into flour.  For several years she has been adjusting her loaf bread recipe.

That obsolete version really only worked well in a jelly roll pan, creating a sheet of bread one slice thick.  That's not nearly as satisfying as using a loaf pan.  The new recipe makes nice loaves of bread.

Her middle versions were not as forgiving when switching flours.  Her new recipe can handle substituting our a cup or two of our flour mix with teff or other flours.

Today I asked my wife to teach me her current recipe, which she did, and then I put it online.  Enjoy!

*My wife was diagnosed with celiac after Pesach of 2005.  Her father has less severe gluten-intolerance, but has known about it roughly two years longer.

No comments: