Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Come Back Unity

Today when I turned my laptop on it started Ubuntu 13.04 without the side launcher or top menu bar.  All I had was the desktop!

Fortunately, I had a file on my desktop.  I could alternate-click on it and use the context menu to open it with my internet browser.

This page showed me how to check if the Unity application was installed.  Open a terminal with CTRL-ALT-T and then use internet browser copy (CTRL-C) and terminal paste (CTRL-SHIFT-V) to run the following commands.
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
export DISPLAY=:0
ccsm
(The "sudo" command will ask for your password.)

Since I had no Unity application in the resulting list of displayed applications, I went to this page for how to reinstall the missing Unity application.
sudo apt-get install unity
All fixed!

No comments: