Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Mix Tape

My generation made mix tapes for friends.  It is something my kids won't do.

How should you arrange 60 or 90 minutes of your favorite music?  What shared memories did you and the friend have with the songs, or with their topics?  What story would the songs tell?

I made my best mix tape during my college years.  The titles of the songs told a story.  Perhaps I was proposing to a girl I loved.  I also made a copy for myself, of course.

Born at the right time, summertime, it's not easy being green: land of confusion, time, and tideMad about you, gypsyRight by your side life is a carnival, closer to fineSilent night, we close our eyesWhen you awake we'll be togetherStand by me time after time; then you can tell me goodbye.


I thought about that mix tape yesterday because my younger son wants to play his favorite song repeatedly as background music while he plays Deeprock Galactic with his brother.  He even found it on a one-hour loop, to maximize his happiness (and his brother's frustration).

So I made my kids a Dad's Playlist today.  I left out quite a few sentimentally significant songs in an effort to limit the playlist to one song by each artist.  I put my son's song first, so he would not have to wait for it, even though it is new to me.  Hopefully having a wider variety of fun and catchy songs will bring them peace.

No comments: