Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Yerba Maté, Part 2

A bit more than a month ago I wrote about drinking yerba maté.

I decided to buy some from Eco Teas.  That brand is a good product: unsmoked for a more pleasant and healthier taste, and well-processed to include very few branch bits.

Amazon seemed to have a good deal, but the Eco Teas website is even less expensive if you actually want five pounds (which I did not).

In any case, compared to quality tea it is very cheap!

I soon realized that I only like yerba maté if I treat it like black tea.  I use about a tablespoon per 40 ounce teapot (instead of a tablespoon per eight ounces).  I add milk.  I really like the result, but it is nothing like the traditional experience.

It also means I am only getting about 6 mg of caffeine per eight-ounce cup, according to my handy caffeine chart.  That is comparable to decaff tea or hot cocoa!
Herbal Tea: 0 mg
Decaffeinated Tea: 1-8 mg
Hot Cocoa: 8 mg
Decaffeinated Coffee: 4-10 mg
Milk Chocolate (4 oz.): 4-40 mg
Dark Chocolate (4 oz.): 20-140 mg
Soda: 22-55 mg
White or Green Tea: 30-60 mg
Yerba Maté: 30-40 mg
Oolong Tea: 50-100 mg
Black Tea: 80-140 mg
Energy Drinks: 75-160 mg
Instant Coffee: 90-200 mg
Espresso (4 oz.): 180-220 mg
Drip Coffee: 160-300 mg
NoDoz (2 pills): 200 mg

No comments: