Saturday, July 25, 2009

One Year Bible

I've been using an online One Year Bible for a while now. This helps me be spending time reading and thinking about scripture.

Through it I do not get exposed to word studies, but do get "character studies" simply by reading the text in order.

I also get reminded of curious things. For example, one day I was reminded that Pesach was not celebrated between the time of the Judges and the reign of Josiah. That sheds an interesting light on how highly God speaks of David and Solomon.

Another day I was reminded that the servants of Nebuchadnezzar cut up most of the gold items in Solomon's Temple. I tend to imagine everything being paraded, intact, to Babylon. That same day also reminded me that the poorest Israelites remained in the land, avoiding the Babylonian Captivity.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love all the things I learn, relearn, or that suddenly click while going through the Bible in a year. This is the first time we have done it as a family, going chronologically, and it has been amazing. (In the past I have done it in different versions alone--this is my first time through chronologically though no idea how many times I have gone through in other ways.) I usually end up going on word studies when something interests me and I have time to do said word study. :)