Sunday, October 03, 2010

The Sinus Infection of Summer 2010

Back in August I wrote about trying a mild drug to help myself sleep better, which did not work.

Sadly, that was not the only recent story of a medication that failed to help me.  This past Summer has been needlessly miserable, with nearly constant sinus congestion and headache.  Six weeks ago I decided it must be a sinus infection, since the allergy season was long gone.  It was, and I should have had it dealt with more promptly.

I spent two weeks apiece taking Cefalexin (Keflex) and then Co-trimoxazole (Septra).  Those are comparatively mild antibiotics with minimal side effects (of which I suffered none), and good choices to start with.  But neither was strong enough.  My left sinus was so inflamed I could barely breathe through it, and must have been an ideal home for bacteria.  With the second antibiotic I also used Flonase spray, but with so little airflow it did not help.

Two weeks ago I moved up to the "big guns".  The antibiotic, Co-amoxiclav (Augmentin), causes me dyspepsia most days, but seems to be working.  I also took Prednisone for a few days, which did succeed in finally reducing the inflammation. Goodness that's a nasty steroid: the first two nights I slept three and then five hours.  Fortunately, I avoided the "become grouchy" side effect, but was really wired for three days and then crashed hard.

All that and my sinuses are still a bit congested and inflamed.  So tomorrow I'll call the doctor yet again.

At least the success of the past two weeks means there is no risk of needing surgery, which I have heard happens in rare cases when the inflammation becomes so established that steroids no longer cure it.  In the meanwhile, I should look at yogurt company stock, since I'm eating so much to keep my stomach pains down.

No comments: