Monday, March 21, 2011

Cocoa Mass

My family uses two kinds of chocolate for baking.

We use the Ambrosia chocolate chips sold at Costco.  These cost $16.99, weigh 160 ounces, and contain 43% cocoa.  That works out to 25 cents per ounce of cocoa mass.

For dark chocolate we use Trader Joe's 72% Pound Plus bars.  These cost $4.99, weight 17.6 ounces, and contain 72% cocoa.  That works out to 39 cents per ounce of cocoa mass.

Chocolate prices are on the rise.  I wonder how these numbers will change in a year or two?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Good to see you around again. hope all is going well with you guys. We have been wondering.

We get the pound plus bars from TJ's and when I can't get there the smaller Aldi bars (I am not sure what the price difference is though I think it is significant-- if I am remembering correctly the Moser Roth bars we buy either the 70% or 82% 4.41oz is $2.78 or $3.25 or something like.)