Monday, August 03, 2009

Earliest Worship Teams?

Here's something I never noticed before, that I saw when doing my One Year Bible reading.

Here is Second Chronicles 29:25:
And he [King Hezekiah] stationed the Levites in the house of the LORD with cymbals, with stringed instruments, and with harps, according to the commandment of David, of Gad the king’s seer, and of Nathan the prophet; for thus was the commandment of the LORD by His prophets.
In Torah we read a lot about what Tabernacle worship is supposed to be like. But we do not read about musicians.

I knew from my studies about First Century Judaism that music was a very well-established part of the Temple worship then.

But when did music by priests begin? Apparently during the reign of King David as directed by at least two prophets!

No comments: