Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spam from my Evil Twin

In early April I received the following e-mail.
Hello: What is your name penei.com domain name transfer intention?
I want you to talk about the transfer of matters. If convenient, please leave your contact
Mr. Qufa
So far nothing too unusual, since I get automated requests like this a few times each month.  This one was also in Chinese, but I am not going to copy-and-paste that text in case it actually translated to something else.

However, Mr. Qufa provided a different e-mail address for me to reply to than the address from which the spam was sent.  His was a foxmail.com address.  The spam came from ekylsnav.divad@cwtoday.com.

Why would someone think using my name backwards would be helpful?  Why would someone bother writing software that did that?

Oh well.  As one college friend would paraphrase Shakespeare, "There are more things in heaven and earth than anywhere else."

No comments: