Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Issues

I have a friend who is three years old (almost four).

On Wednesdays she visits to "babysit" Smiley. This is good for everyone. She gets to interact with a non-parent grownup. Her mom gets one-on-one time with the other child. I get someone to talk to. Smiley gets attention paid to him even when I briefly leave the room to do something.

Today my friend said two especially cute things.

The first was just an example of her three-year-old world, in which politeness and compliments are so much more present than in the adult world. She saw me sweeping the kitchen floor and said, "You clean so well."

"Thank you," I replied.

The second was an example of how it can be especially funny when a young child uses a adult's phrase inappropriately, especially if it is not a phrase either parent uses to add the mystique of wondering where it came from. Smiley was lying on his back and had a big sneeze. My friend looked up at me and said, "Your baby has issues."

No comments: