Monday, October 17, 2011

Green Bike Lane Portions

Eugene and Springfield now have portions of bike lanes bright green.

I understand the intention.  But bright green?

Dark green would make sense as a Federal recommendation.  Years ago a Federal study proved that white on dark green is the most visible contrast (not white on black), which is why freeway signs are white on dark green.

Yellow would make sense, since yellow already means "caution" to drivers.

But bright green means "go!  your turn!  accelerate!".

Why not orange?  It would at least be different, and imply "a mix of caution and braking".

I must conclude that some of my undergraduate friends whom I have lost track of, who back at Pomona formed an I Hate Orange club, have risen to positions of governmental influence and forced some pro-orange study to be ignored.

No comments: