Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Saturn Changes

My wife and I own a 1999 Saturn SL2, which Consumer Reports believes was the last great car the company manufactured. It has certainly served us well, for years in upstate New York weather as well as in Oregon.

The car is not a miracle of modern engineering, but the problems in manufacture were noted by Saturn and fixed at their expense (twice, and a third time that turned out not to apply to our model).

I recently received a letter from Saturn describing their upcoming split from GM. Interesting news. Every Saturn employee with whom I have had contact has been knowledgeable and helpful. When I have asked, they reply that they like their co-workers and the work they do. For their sake, I hope the company continues and thrives in some form. Job skills can be provided by training, but established teamwork and enthusiasm are difficult to replace.

No comments: