Sunday, November 16, 2008

Five Questions

At one of the local pastors' prayer meetings the organizers distributed a copy of Wesley's 22 Questions.

What set of questions has God taught me to ask myself? It is a surprisingly different set than Wesley's.

  1. Am I reading scripture enough so that when my brain goes "on idle" in between tasks my thoughts are naturally about scripture?
  2. Am I praying enough so that when my brain goes "on idle" in between tasks my instinctual action is more prayer?
  3. Am I worshiping enough so that when my brain goes "on idle" in between tasks my emotional state is gratitude and peace?
  4. Am I listening to God enough to know what long-term and short-term tasks he has asked me to do?
  5. Is my relationship with God intimate enough that I feel the joy of being near him?

In my own experience, these five issues follow each other in a set order. For example, I am not able to have the emotional state God intends if I am not first reading scripture and praying enough.

In one of my favorite books the characters pray to maintain "tranquility of purpose". I suppose my five questions aim, respectively, at tranquility of thoughts, deeds, emotions, callings, and intimacy--not as catchy and succinct a phrase, but real life is messier than a novel.

I wish it were true that I always could answer "yes" to these five questions. In the words of Rabbi Bunam,
Our great transgression is not that we commit sins: temptation is strong and our strength is slight! No, our transgression is that at every instant we can turn to God and we do not turn!

No comments: