Thursday, August 07, 2008

Growing Boys

Smiley is a growing boy. Today he had his Four Month doctor visit, at At 17 weeks, 4 days old. His measurements (and percentiles) were length 24.1 in. (25%), weight 12 lb., 4 oz. (10%), head 16.6 in. (35%).

Compare this to his Two Month doctor visit, when he was 10 weeks, 5 days old. Then his measurements were length 22.1 in. (12%), weight 9 lbs., 15 oz. (5%), head 15.5 in. (25%).

I have no idea what this means. I know I was a tiny baby, but my wife was not. My uneducated guess is that Smiley is slowly shifting from a size resembling my side of the family to a size resembling her side of the family. But this is only a guess. I'm not the geneticist in the family.

More meaningful in my mind since it has a definite application is that I have also gained weight. This happened mostly between January and April. I have not noticed any decrease in energy or endurance, but have love handles now. Our electronic scale says I am above my normal weight by ten pounds and three percent body fat. A friend from China replied to this picture from April with:
And you looks gained some weights, right? It is ok, you guys need more energy to take care of baby, so need take care of youself well first.
Needing more energy has certainly been true, but that increased use has not improved my waistline. Even more insulting is that our electronic scale says I metabolically resemble a fifty year old. Now, I will be thrilled if I still have all of today's energy and endurance when I am fifty. But still...

Anyway, since April I have been snacking less and exercising more, but apparently not enough.

No comments: