Thursday, August 07, 2008

It's Not Just Me (and bonus bird story)

I have not posted much about the squirrels this year. We still are using the live trap to move them to my wife's workplace, but having a baby in the house is much more interesting to write about.

However, I did recently find another Oregonian blogger, Grant Cunningham, who also finds them to be trouble. Unfortunately he does not have a "search" option on his blog, let alone an entire squirrel category like some folk. Here is his best story. Then, if you want, you can go to his humor posts and search for squirrel using your web browser.

On Monday I saw some strange animal behavior too, but not about squirrels. In our back yard a neighbor's cat was near an injured bird. I don't know what kind of bird: small and gray with a blue throat, whose voice is harsh like a finch. Anyway, the bird's eight best friends started screeching and flying at the cat. The cat promptly fled across the yard. All the birds chased it, including the injured one, although the injured one quit halfway across the yard to hide in a bush at the base of our oak tree. Once the cat was over the fence the birds started singing a victory song, to which a few birds of other kinds joined in. I had never seen anything like that before; I've only seen birds gang up against other birds.

No comments: