Friday, August 08, 2008

An iTunes Senior Moment

I'm not sure what label to use for this post. Since my previous discussion of combining audiobooks and infant care used "Parenting" and "Enjoyments" then I'll stick with those labels, although this discovery certainly was not enjoyable.

Something happened recently and my copy of iTunes forgot who I was. I have no idea why, but a Google search shows that I am not the only person to experience such behavior.

All of the songs retained their tagged information. This was fortunate for me. I make lots of genres the way most people use playlists.

But all the playlists, display settings, and other library information vanished. The work I spent making a playlist of soothing Classical music for Smiley's nursery was gone. My computer no longer matched with my iPod.

It turns out there is an "Export Library..." command in the iTunes file menu. This saves all of the playlists, display settings, and other library information as an .xml file in case this kind of problem happens. Now I do that after each time I import a CD or change a playlist.

Be warned!

No comments: