Saturday, August 30, 2008

Thick Ones

I just shared one of my childhood stories about When Important Businessmen Visit. Here is the other fun one.

My brother and father both liked Oreos. But my brother liked the insides, whereas my father liked the outsides.

So they had an unspoken deal. When my father opened the container of Oreos, if they were all normal he would unscrew a few and then put the halves with insides together, making thick ones he would leave in the container for my brother. When my brother opened the container of Oreos, if they were all normal he would unscrew a few to make thick ones, leaving the plain halves in the container for my father.

This was back in the days before Double Stuff Oreos or any of the other variations now available.

Well, one day my father had another Important Business Man visit but on short notice. My mother did not have time to make dessert, so she poured out some cookies onto a plate.

The Important Business Man enjoyed dinner and the cookies, and holding up one of the twice-as-thick Oreos said, "I really like these thick ones."

My brother smiled, learning an important lesson about how to impress businessmen. My parents said nothing, since "Well, those are the ones that have already been played with," did not seem appropriate.

No comments: