Tuesday, August 12, 2008

This Summertime

Gershwin's Summertime has been a favorite song of mine since high school. I'm not sure when or why a Gershwin CD was among the first I owned, but I love that song (and Rhapsody in Blue).

When I graduated from high school my grandfather took me on a tour of Europe. Gershwin's melody, with a few new verses, became an internal theme song for that trip.

As a swing dancer for the past five years I've enjoyed hearing several swing dance versions of the song during the weekly swing dances. If there were a song for which I might someday shop online for many versions, it would be this one.

Needless to say, the melody is one my wife and I use with new verses when singing to Smiley.

About a week ago I made up a verse starting with Onsie mornings... and suddenly had to create the rest of a new version with minimal changes worthy to accompany that alteration.

Summertime, and the livin' is easy.
Baby's smiling, and holds his head up high.
Your milk is rich, and your toys good to suck on.
So hush little baby, don't you cry.

Onsie mornings you wake up happy and cooing.
Get you clean and fed, then there's so much to do.
Every morning you play and watch daddy do chores.
Smiley baby knows he's here for you.

I should say sorry to a few people to whom I owe e-mail replies. Here's what you're up against. :-)

Actually it's that computer time is hardest to create while caring for Smiley. While he's awake and entertaining himself I need to be doing noisy chores such as dishes, vacuuming, or baking. When he's napping I've found I need to rest: that old saying of "rest when the baby sleeps" is true now that my wife is back at work.

Thank you for your patience, and there's always my cell phone. Smiley and I take one or two long walks each day. Since my phone has an ear piece that's a great time to chat.

1 comment:

pussreboots said...

I didn't know we had Gershwin in common. Neat. :)